Celiac’s Disease is getting more and more common these days. The other day I was taking dinner to a friend who has it, and I thought I was going to have to pull out a bag of tricks to come up with something, but it was relatively easy. People that have this are intolerant to gluten, which is found in wheat. The only way to treat it is a gluten free diet.
Here are some recipes for a gluten free meal. ( A great meal for anyone!)
Grilled Spiced Chicken with Caribbean Citrus Mango Sauce (you all know how to pick a good mango now too!)
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground anise seed
1 dash cayenne pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2 cups water
1 cup basmati rice
1 mango- peeled, seeded and diced
1/2 cup orange juice
2 Tbs fresh lime juice
2 Tbs honey
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp. water
2 Tbs dark rum (optional) or you can use flavoring
1. In a medium bowl, mix the spices, rub the spice mixture over the chicken breast halves. Place the chicken in the bowl, cover and refrigerate for 20 to 30 min.
2. Combine 2 cups of water, and basmati rice in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 20 min. or until tender.
3. In a small saucepan, mix the mango, orange juice, lime juice, and honey. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a small cup, mix cornstarch with 1 1/2 tsp of water until cornstarch is dissolved. Stir into mango mixture, and simmer one minute, or until sauce has thickened slightly. Stir in dark rum.
4. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat. When grill is hot, brush the grate with oil.
5. Grill chicken 6 to 8 minutes per side, until no longer pink or until juices run clear. Serve over the cooked rice, and top with mango sauce.
1. Coat Asparagus with olive oil and sea salt and pepper. Put on the top rack of the grill, or lower rack on low. Grill until tender. Tastes like candy!!
2 8 oz packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line muffin tins with foil liners.
2. Mix cream cheese, vanilla and sugar until well blended. Add eggs and mix well. Pour into liners, filling 3/4 full. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from pan; chill. Top with pie filling or nuts, chocolate, fruit, preserves etc., as desired. Makes 12 to 18.