Kool-aid Playdough!

I can’t tell you how many little tubs of Play-doh I have bought at the store! AND, they usually only last for one sessions of playing. It ends up in little pieces all over the floor, dried up, eaten, and/or squished all together with other colors (and then none of the kids like them anymore.) So, I thought it more economical to find a fun recipe and start making my own, from now on. A  Kool-Aid play dough recipe caught my eye.

You will need: flour, salt, 2 packs of Kool-Aid, Cream of Tartar, boiling water, oil, and at least one child.

Mix together all the dry ingredients: 2 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup salt, 2 packages Kool-Aid, and 1 tsp. cream of tartar.

Then pour in the 2 cups boiling water and 3 TBS. oil. Knead all together.  It looks kinda nasty, dry, and crumbly at first, but it quickly works together.

Each recipe makes one hefty-mama dough ball, in one color.  I made two at a time…two bowls of dry ingredients, two pots of boiling water.  Dump, dump, knead, knead…done.  It literally took 5 minutes.  And, let me just say…this Kool-Aid stuff smells waaaaaay better than regular play-doh.  That matters.
Kool-Aid Play Dough
Kool-aid Playdough
  • 2½ cups flour
  • ½ cup salt
  • 1 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 2 pkg. Kool-Aid
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 3 TBS. oil
  1. Mix together flour, salt, cream of tartar, and Kool-Aid in a bowl.
  2. Pour in the boiling water and oil.
  3. Mix and then knead until done.

That’s easier than I thought it would be! (My internet is working now:)
    Nice Post!

2. T

glad it’s not just MY kids that think play-dough is a one-time use item!

3. The Jongejans

So you’re not just supposed to tell them to play with the mixed up colors and call it “avant garde”? or “mud pies”? or to mix in the dried up pieces and call it “texture” who knew? Great recipe, I’ll definitely give it a try!

4. Cosette

Sounds like making the play-doh is a gob easier than cleaning up…but I love this recipe because it smells yummy.

**brushes crud off feet

5. Reb

You are the best!!! My kids have been BEGGING to make some colored play Dough, and now they can. Thank you thank you!

6. Kristen

that is awesome! and you definitely know they can eat it because you made it, haha. Does it end up being cheaper? Either way, it looks like the kids had fun!

7. suburban hippie mama

How fun! thanks!!!

8. girlichef

LOL, so true, so true! Thanks for sharing this, I will definitely take advantage 😀

9. Dani Cloud

Great idea! My only questions is does it stain their hands. You know how koolaid stains their mouth…just wondering.

10. Dee

My mom used to make this for us when we were little, and yes we did try to eat it!!

11. Carissa Rasmussen

looks awesome! we love play dough at our house

12. Jill

Very Kool!!! :)

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!

Hope you have a fabulous week!

Jill @ Creating my way