Playin’ in the sun is fun, until you get home and realize you have a burn. Obviously, you want to wear sunscreen first to avoid it altogether, but in case it’s too late, here are a few tips.
1. DON’T apply a soothing cream until you first cool down the affected area! This will just trap in the heat. Cool down the skin with a cool towel, ice or lie down in a very cool bath (or shower) for at least 5 minutes. (Keep it tepid for small children)
2. Make a white vinegar solution of two parts cold water to one part vinegar. This works wonders. Soak a cloth in the solution and press it gently on the area. DON’T rub. Dab on gently, don’t rinse and use aloe vera as a follow up. Do this twice a day until you heal.
Triple Lanolin Aloe Vera hand and body lotion, got a 5 (the highest rating) on makeup alley and people were 100% likely to buy it again! $6.50 on Amazon.
3. While aloe vera works well, some lotions contain alcohol. This will just dry out the skin, and tend to retain the heat, so avoid lotions and creams with alcohol.
4. Keep hydrated by drinking plenty of water, and eat raw fruit. Eat lean protein rich foods such as chicken and fish to help your skin grow new cells.
5. Last but not least, pop open that bottle of ibuprofen and take 400mg. Some motrin or children’s tylenol for the little ones.
Symptoms that your pet is burned:
1. The nose, ears or tummy are red and tender.
2. The edges of your pets ears are dry, cracked, or curling.
3. They constantly scratch themselves in tender places, and whimper when doing so.
Ways to Soothe a Sunburned Pet
1. Cool them off with some cold water. After they are dry, apply aloe vera.
2. Speed healing with vitamin E. Puncture a vitamin E capsule, and squeeze out the oil, and apply to the affected area to reduce scaring and speed healing.
3. Replace lost moisture with creams containing, coconut or jojoba oil. Apply 3 times a day.
For those of you who are interested, we found out the scoop on Xen Tan. (The product the gals from GTU rave about) Mariel bought a bottle of the lotion, and loves it! It gives you a browntan (not orange) and it smells like chocolate! (Just make sure you wash your hands right away after applying!) It got rave reviews on Makeup Alley! $39 on Amazon.