But first, for the unbeliever, (and for those who eat purely for health, good for you! That’s difficult. I hate tomatoes but incorporate them into my daily diet because of their countless benefits.)
1. This is a very nutrient-dense food. A 1-cup serving has only 41 calories but it’s very high in vitamins, minerals and other phytonutrients.
2. It’s so versatile! It can be eaten raw, blended, or cooked, and added to just about anything!
3. Spinach is loaded with 13 different flavonoids which act as antioxidants, protecting the body from free radicals. If you don’t know what those are, free radicals are bad guys. We don’t want them in or around us, but they are. So we need to fight them with things like flavoids and antioxidants.
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup Ground Flaxseed
5-6 cups Fresh Spinach
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 cup Lowfat Buttermilk
1 Whole Egg
1 Tbsp Canola Oil
1. Throw spinach in a blender with enough buttermilk to puree it.
2. Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. Whisk egg, oil and remaining milk together.
4. Add the spinach puree to the wet ingredients, then add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Batter should be lumpy.
5. Spray pan with non-stick spray and cook.
6. Serve with warm cinnamon applesauce, sliced peaches, strawberries, or even pureed mangoes!
Spinach Steel Cut Oats
Steel Cut Oats
1 Cup spinach
1.Cook the Steel Cut Oats according to package directions, choosing serving size accordingly.
2. Puree Spinach in blender with a dash of milk to make it smooth.
3. Mash bananas in small mixing bowl (number of bananas depends on how sweet you like your cereal.)
4. When Oats are finished cooking, add the spinach puree then bananas to taste.
Spinach Tortillas (or any whole wheat tortillas with only ingredients that you can pronounce)
Cheese (I prefer unpasteurized)
1 fresh Clove of Garlic finely chopped
2 handfuls of chopped Spinach
1. Throw a tortilla down on a greased pan
2. Sprinkle on the clove of garlic
Remember, these are supposed to be healthy, so don’t drench them in artery-clogging cheese
5. Lay a second tortilla on top
6. Cook on a medium-low heat because you want the inside to get piping hot before it overcooks the tortillas. Flip when underside is starting to turn golden brown and
You can make spinach fun,
I have a bunch more recipes, including a spinach smoothie, casseroles, and a spaghetti sauce with 13 hidden vegetables!
But you’d be reading for a week if I posted them all.
So if you’d like more, you can visit me at: My Blog
or leave a comment here.
Let us know how you enjoy these recipes!