Although, I like to cook…I don’t have all the time in the world to spend doing it. So, I love recipes that are fast, easy, and freakin’ good. (Nothing is more frustrating to me than spending all my time making a recipe that ends up tasting like poo…especially when the picture of it on the internet was SO pretty!) Anyway, so both of these recipes are staples around my house, crowd pleasers. They are easy and go so well with things like Chicken Pot Pie, Beef Bourguignon, Alice Springs Chicken, or Jessica’s King Crab Legs (recipe coming soon!)
So, first up we’ll make Cheddar Biscuits…all you need is some biscuit mix, shredded cheddar cheese (I like sharp), milk, garlic powder, butter, parsley (dried or fresh), and garlic salt.
Heat your oven to 400 degrees, grease a cookie sheet. In a large bowl, combine 4 cups biscuit mix, 2 cups cheddar cheese, and 1 tsp. garlic powder. Stir in 1 1/3 cups milk. I usually just get my hands right in there and squish it all to mix it…it gets to hard to stir.
Drop the mixture into clumps on the cookie sheet…heaping tablespoon size, or a little bigger. Bake for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with parsley. Put it BACK in the oven for about 5 more minutes or until parts of the top turn a more golden brown.
These are yummy served warm with butter…
Okay, for the buttermilk cornbread…I’m a dork and somehow erased all my step-by-step pictures…so, I just have this final pic for you, and the recipe.
- ¼ pound butter
- ⅔ cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- Heat oven to 375.
- Grease a 8" square pan.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sugar.
- Quickly add the eggs and beat until well blended.
- Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan.
- Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well prepared pan.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- 4 cups biscuit baking mix
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⅓ cups milk
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- melted butter (to brush on top)
- parsley (dried or fresh)
- garlic salt (to sprinkle on top)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl, combine the baking mix, cheddar cheese, and garlic powder. Stir in the milk.
- Drop the batter by heaping tablespoons onto a prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Brush biscuits with melted butter and sprinkle with parsley and garlic salt.
- Bake for 5 more minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom.