(Recipe from Kathleen Woolf)1 packages yeast
2 cups scolded milk
½ cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup prepared mashed potatoes
½ teaspoon salt
6-8 C. flour
1. Dissolve the yeast in 3/4 cups warm water and a pinch of sugar.
2. In a large mixing bowl cream the together the shortening, sugar, and eggs.
3. Add the milk and potatoes. Mix together.
4. Add yeast and salt.
5. Add 5 cups flour. Keep adding flour until the dough comes together. It should be soft and still a little tacky but not wet.
6. Set the dough aside in a warm spot. Cover the bowl with a dish towel and let rise until double.
7. Punch down and roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into donut’s.
1 t. pure vanilla extract
1/4 – 1/2 C. pure maple syrup1. In a bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar and vanilla.