* As you read this, I am in the hospital squeezing a child out of my body. I’ll show you pics next week (of the child, not the squeezing.) Have a fun day! *
My pregnant self has been dreaming about caramel popcorn for a while now…the yummy-nummy, gooey kind that is soft and chewy. Mmmmmmm, love it…need it. I’m sure you all have your own special recipe, but here’s how it goes at my house:
You will need brown sugar, karo syrup, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, butter, and popcorn. I like to pop my own popcorn, as opposed to microwave popcorn. There seems to be less unpopped kernels that will break your tooth when you’re chomping away.
Melt 2 sticks (1 cup) of butter in a saucepan.
Pop your popcorn. It’s hard to say how much to pop, but I filled 2 large bowls with popcorn. I thought I would have too much but once you pour the caramel on, it really packs down. So, make more than you need…feed the rest to the birds, or the kids.
To the butter, add 2 1/2 cups brown sugar and 1 cup light Karo syrup. Using a candy thermometer, stir constantly over medium heat until it reaches the “soft ball” stage.
Remove from heat and add 1 cup sweetened condensed milk and 1 tsp. vanilla. Stir.
Pour the caramel sauce over the popcorn and dig in! Caramel popcorn makes a perfect Halloween treat!
Gooey Caramel Popcorn
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 2½ cups brown sugar
- 1 cup light Karo syrup
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Pop two LARGE bowls of popcorn (if it ends up being too much, just keep some out.)
- In a saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the brown sugar and syrup. Stir constantly over medium heat until the sauce reaches the "soft ball" stage on your candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and add the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. Stir.
- Pour over the bowls of popcorn.