There’s a place, here in Utah, called Gardner Village.  It’s where women go, with their girlfriends, to escape poopie diapers, dishes, and laundry.  It’s the cutest place, with little gift shops, a restaurant, bakery, candy store, and ducks…I love the ducks walking around!  My best girl, Paula and I, can be found there…oh, every few months, munching on a bit of heaven…namely, Fried Avocados.  It’s served as an appetizer and we each get our OWN plate.  No sharing avocados.  It’s like sharing expensive chocolate, shampoo, and husbands.  Just doesn’t happen.  Anyway, these fried avocados make all of our troubles go away.  All the sudden, our kids are cute again, our husbands are the “best ever,” and we’ve never felt as pretty.  Magical.

So, in an effort to incorporate this magic into my every day life, I knew I had to figure out how to make them at home.  Paula is mad cause I made them without her, but I couldn’t wait any longer.  She’s preggo and moves realllllllllllllllly s.l.o.w.l.y.  By the time she made it to my house, I would be beating my kids, hating my husband, and feeling ugly.  I needed some avocados.  And, surprise, surprise…they were so easy to make!
Okay, you need some fresh, perfectly ripe avocados…not too hard, not too mushy.  You also need a couple eggs, something to bread them with (such as Panko or bread crumbs), salsa, and ranch dressing.
 Get some oil heating on the stove.  You want your oil to be around 350 degrees.  You can use a deep fryer, pot, or dutch oven.  I just pour in a couple inches of Canola Oil.
 Pour some breadcrumbs in a bowl, and whisk a couple eggs in another bowl.
 Chop your avocados and dip them, one at a time, into the whisked egg, then into the breadcrumbs.  Set aside.
 When the oil has reached 350 degrees, lower the breaded avocado into it and fry until golden brown.
 Make a dipping sauce by mixing ranch and salsa.  You decide how much…if you like more of a salsa flavor, add more salsa than ranch, and vice versa.  I prefer more ranch…so, next time I think the dipping sauce will be a lighter color than pictured.  That’s it!  Eat up and let the magic begin.

Fried Avocado with Salsa Ranch Dip
Fried Avocado with Salsa Ranch Dip
Ingredients
  • Avocado
  • Bread crumbs or Panko
  • Eggs
  • Salsa
  • Ranch Dressing
  • Canola oil
Instructions
  1. Heat a large pot (or dutch oven, or deep fryer), ½ way filled with oil (or more), until it reaches 350 degrees. Try to maintain the temperature the entire time, by using a thermometer.
  2. Slice up your avocados.
  3. Dip them in a bowl of whipped eggs, then into a bowl of bread crumbs.
  4. Set aside, until oil is hot.
  5. Using a slotted spoon, lower the coated avocado into the hot oil, and let fry until the bread crumbs turn golden.
  6. Remove and set on paper towels, to absorb excess oil.
  7. To make the dip, mix roughly 3 parts ranch dressing to 1 part salsa.

My kids LOVE avocados.  And, now that I can make fried avocados at home, I should probably share.  I had all of the kids hovering around me while I took the pictures.  The minute I was done, they dove in…and literally, 5 seconds later…gone.  Shane said, “this is my favoritist food, ever!”
These would be a perfect appetizer for the Superbowl!
 Other appetizer and drink suggestions:
My super-fave Artichoke Spinach Dip
And, a couple fun Superbowl posts:
Have a great weekend!

1. Rebecca

Ha, ha Mariel! Your post gave me a good chuckle to start the day off. You have such a good sense of humor! Now, if I could just get my kids and husband to eat avocados, I’d be a happy woman. Or not, because that means I’d have to share. I just made your avocado, tomato, feta dip for a meeting this week. It was a huge hit! Keep the yummy recipes coming!

2. The Double Dipped Life

I have somehow missed this at Gardner Village! It looks really, really good though!

3. ramsam

Oh man, those look so dang good! Thanks for the tip! My boys love avocados, and football, so I will have to give this a try!

4. Alabama Apples

Oh my goodness these look delicious!!! I also have to add that I know how you feel! I need my make me beautiful, life is good therapy, too. Definitely something I need to try…

Those look so freakin good! Great pictures!

6. KT

Never had them, but now I want to. Thanks

7. The FOUR M’s…

Oh, for delish. I neeeeeed some of these right now. (First of all to escape the poopie diapers… good times… and…. yeah. Just the poopie diapers.) ;o)

I had to laugh because I mis-read that one part and thought you’d said ‘eating your kids’ instead of ‘beating’… I was thinking that would be some SERIOUS hunger going on! Can’t wait to try these!!

8. Kate

mouth.is.watering

Oh, I’m not above “eating my kids”. I have to hold myself back from taking a huge bite out of their little cheeks.

10. Asis Family

I love these! I had them over the summer and they are fabulous! Also try fried zucchini; just as delicious!

11. jennaseverythingblog

I just found you through TastyKitchen, and all I can say is YUM! I love avocadoes, and these look perfect. I can totally see how this little dish would restore all good feelings and happiness to your life. =)

Jenna ~ Come back any time! If fact, send me some links to your favorite posts…let’s get you guest posting!

13. Bruces

You mentioning my name in your very famous(and oh so awesome blog) makes up for you making them without me. LOVE THEM!! Good work!

14. Brooke Douglass

OMG we are having a couple over tonight and I am sooo maing these!!! yumm yummm ! I am your newest follower come check out my blog!!! brooke
    brookedouglass@yahoo.com
    Girl Boy Girl Inspired

15. Beth @ Free Stylin’

Oh my gosh! I LOVE avacados – this is going to be my new favorite thing to make! I am so excited!! Thank you for the recipe!!

16. Heather @French Press

Oh My Goodness! Amazing

17. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life

I absolutely love avocados but have never had them fried!! I am definitely trying this out for sure!!!! Thank you so much for sharing on Trick or Treat Tuesday!!!

18. heidi

wow. i will never forget these. avocado and ranch are my two favorite things. :)

19. Bethany

Wow! Fried avocado sounds awesome, I have never had it before! Next time they go on sale, I will be trying this, thanks!

• Mariel

You’ll love it! It’s always a hit over here. Thanks for stopping by, Bethany!

20. Trick or Treat Tuesday – Inside BruCrew Life

[…] with your Kids And here are the FAB 5 picks for the week: I heart avocado of any kind…so FRIED AVOCADO is going to  happen in our house very soon!!!!  Thank you Or So She Says for sharing this awesome […]