My name is Wendy. I love to bake my stress away. I write over at Lessons Line upon Line.
When I was in graduate school, I managed my stress by baking. One of my specialties was banana bread. I never ate what I made though. I always gave it away. It seemed contradictory to me to eat my stress and hold onto it. I would bake mini loaves of banana bread and instead of coating the loaf pan with flour I would use cinnamon-sugar to caramelize the outside of the bread.
In my recipe book I have the measurements figured for a single, double, and triple. I make banana muffins for a day that we need a quick breakfast and can grab a bag out of the freezer and go. When I make a batch it is usually with 6-8 cups of bananas so that there can be a lot in the freezer. I use canning lids to be my muffin tins and can fit 23 muffins on a sheet cake pan.
Source: Shaulan Morgan
- ⅔ butter
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- ¼ cup thick sour milk (add 2 tsp vinegar cup and let stand)
- 1 tsp vanilla (I also had 1 tsp almond flavoring)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 cups flour
- 1 chocolate chips and/or nutsBulk Recipe:2 cups butter
- 4½ cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cup mashed bananas
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 9 cups flour
- 3 chocolate chips and/or nuts
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease pans with cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs, milk, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Slowly add flour and baking soda.
- Add banana and nuts/chocolate and mix well.
- Divide batter evenly between loaf pans.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. For muffins it is about 25 minutes.
- NOTES: I've also added the blueberries instead of nuts and chocolate. As with any bread watch it until it is done. Every where is different because of elevation and humidity.
We then bag the muffins 16 to a bag in gallon freezer bags when cooled. We suck the air out so that ice crystals don’t form on the muffins and freezer burn. It is a great treat when you have to grab something quick and need to go or something to share with someone.