Birthday Balloon Surprise (she: Trish)

I am Trish. I’m a working mother of two adorable baby boys and I’m married to my lovely husband for about five years. I work very hard on creating a well balanced, fun and simple life for my kids and family. I’m an artist/designer and a homemaker amongst other things. I love to do a little bit of everything including arts & crafts, cooking, decorating, sculpting, painting, organizing and gardening etc. I get inspired from everything that I look at. I feel like I can make and do just about anything. My superpower is my creativity that I am only now appreciating and embracing for the first time through by blog, Crafty Moods. There is no other way to showcase or share my ideas than this way. I feel a strong urge to share my ideas because I believe that anyone can do these ideas and it creates a fulfilling feeling knowing that you can make something for the third of the price or recycle something into a another beautiful, useful product. Thanks for spending some time with me.

Recently, it was my son’s 2nd birthday and I wanted to do something very special for him. We celebrated his 1st birthday with a huge party but this year was pretty low key. We baked a cake and called it a day. I went to PartyCity with a dear friend searching for the perfect baking pan in the shape of a car-his favorite type of toy. While most young kids will hug a teddy bear to sleep, he’ll hug this 6″ metal toy car to sleep and you DARE not take it away until he is in deep sleep mode. Cute.

Anyway, whilst in PartyCity, I spotted a box of balloons (30 balloons with a disposable helium tank & string) for $29.99. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with this. Since we were not having a party for him, I wanted to at least give him something even more precious and memorable (hopefully he remembers!!) I once saw this in a movie or show,  I cannot remember but I knew when the time came I would try this. This kit came with stickers to create faces on the balloons (which I did not use, didn’t want to scare him early in the morning with a bunch of faces looking at him.) There are other kits that are much cheaper like $19.99 for the same amount of balloons and tank minus the stickers.
Things you will need:
  • Balloon kit with helium & strings
  • Clear wide packaging tape
  • Scissor
  • Birthday kid
While he was sleeping in another room, we blew up about 15 or 18 of the balloons and placed them around the room. I used clear packaging tape to tape the strings to the floor, carpet, bed post and nightstands. I used long pieces of strings on the balloons but when I placed them all over the room, I cut the extra off after I taped them down. Don’t want the kid tripping on the strings right? Also keep in mind that when he/she gets out of bed, that there is a path for him/her to walk around. Vary the heights of the balloons almost creating a forest with them and try to keep some balloons at their eye level.

Thank goodness we blew up the balloons in another room and not in the same room as the birthday boy sleeping. About 3 or 4 popped really loud and that could have ruined the whole surprise.

After carefully placing all the balloons in his room, I put him in his bed and waited for the morning.
I think I was more excited than he was. Wish I had someone do this for me every birthday- I’d still act surprised every year :)

This is what happened the next morning. I’ll let the pictures tell the rest of the story…

He actually kissed a few of them. Aweeee

And hugged each one that he could reach…

Happy Birthday baby…

Suggestion: Set up a video camera to capture the surprise around the time he/she normally wakes up. Their reaction is PRICELESS.
~ Trish

Comments

1. Angela Jameer says:

Awww that is the sweetest thing and sucha  great idea!  Kids love balloons!!  I’m so happy and proud of you :O)

2. Maribel says:

This is the cutest thing ever!! My daughter will be 16 in January and I will be doing this for her!!! So awesome.

3. Priya Nair-Jameer says:

Great idea Trish, you know i’ll be using this when we move into our own place. His face is priceless. Hope you and the fam are doing well.

4. jeana1012 says:

Love, love, love this idea! I will definitely be trying this out.  What kid doesn’t love balloons? You’re definitely very talented, i love to read your blog on craftymoods.com! keep it up!!

5. Awesome Tricia! Proud you =)

6. Very nice Trish, great Idea for my future grand-kids.
    Thanks
    Ralph Otero

7. Mudra99 says:

what a great idea!  I can see using this for even older children and maybe even adults, might have to be more creative about how to pick them up and move them to the room but I think every age would love to wake up to a room filled up with balloons!  Love the concept, Trish!

8. Melenie says:

What a fun idea! Your boy is a doll.

9. Cindy Budhu says:

This is such a great idea!! Very creative. The boys reaction to the birthday balloon surprise was priceless!

10. orsoshesays says:

Another great idea, thanks Trish!

11. arohling says:

This is awesome – I love this idea and since my son loves balloons too he will be the happiest boy around!

12. Lita511 says:

You are creative and that’s why your boys are lucky to have you as their mommy. Great idea!

13. Great idea. My daughter loves balloons so I’m going to this for her bday.

14. Mary Walker says:

Trish this is awesome…….

15. Jasodraramkishun says:

Awesome Trish,you are so creative

16. Jdelgado41 says:

Love it!!!

17. very cute! I wish someone would do this for me.. my bday is Aug 22nd!!!

18. Jennbalram says:

Trish!! You are so creative.. Love the idea and the faces of the boys!!  Who doesn’t love balloons..

19. I’ve done something similiar for adults.  I just used longer strings.  In fact, I once planned a date for my then-boyfriend,now-husband where I blew up 100 ballons (it was in celebration of our 100th date – yes, i kept track!) and wrote on 10 of them my favorite dates with him.  He actually used that moment to propose!

When we have kids, I plan on “telling” him that I’m pregnant by inflating pink and blue balloons and leaving them for him in the bathtub!

20. What  a great way to start your birthday . LOVE IT

21. Rohanie says:

Excellent idea, keep them coming. Thanks!

22. That is averynice idea indeed.  It is clear that the surprise worked and he loved it!
    A very nice inexpensive way to give him a memorable birthday!

23. Deaanjay says:

Great idea !!!  how precious are the simple things in life  that make our little ones day so special …love it

24. Anonymous says:

How to solve mode of grouped data?Computer question that affects Facebook videos/games volumes?How To use Detonation films effects?How can I get my mobile Internet status?
    On habbo hotel how doo you unban someone? refluks żołądkowy How do I put applets in Yola?Java programing help?What can i do in Sony Vegas HD 9.0?Fallow me on blogspot.com?How do I create clips of videos on Windows Movie Maker?i have gesiwhoa.dll when i turn on my computer. how do i get rid of it ?How is this song called? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyzRKnEJ_6c? refluks żołądka objawy Refluks żołądkowo przełykowy refluks leczenie ziołami how can i change the highlighted icons?How do I put a music player on my blog?What is a good computational theory to implement through C++ or Java?How to upload my video to YouTube or facebook from iPhone?[/url] [url=http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=3666552749653534954&postID=7428184479685365891&page=1&token=1311695099648&isPopup=true]choroba refluksowa[/url]
    Im buying a new computer tower only need help choosing one ?GoAnimate.com help please?How do i access the hidden admin account on Windows 7? [url=http://refluks24.pl]Refluks[/url] why is this happening in twitter ?how to block non-friends from facebook?Does it lower your signal strength to disconnect your BT hub?