Wow, can you believe it’s September already?!
I love everything that comes with this time of year:
the colours, the cool feeling in the air, and especially the food!
Lately, I find myself turning towards fall inspired meals!
I love the cozy feeling that comes with the heartiness of autumn recipes.
So I find myself spending less time at the BBQ, and more time inside my kitchen!
One of the foods that makes a great transition from summer salads to fall side dishes, is quinoa.
With its earthy flavour, quinoa is the perfect addition to a fall meal!
And this Mushroom and Herb Quinoa dish is just that kind of perfect fall dish.
To me, this recipe just screams fall!
The earthiness of the mushrooms combined with the rich flavours
of the wine and parmesan cheese, makes this dish a winner!
And not only is it packed full of flavour, it’s packed full of nutrition!
Mushroom and Herb Quinoa
Recipe adapted from Quinoa: The Everyday Superfood
1 tbsp butter
3 green onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh oregano
3/4 cup quinoa
1 3/4 cups stock (chicken, beef or vegetable)
1/4 cup white wine
fresh ground pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups button mushrooms, cut into quarters
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 cup fresh parmesan
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the onions, garlic and oregano and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and stir to coat it in the butter.
- Add the stock and wine, and bring it to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes, or until the stock is mostly absorbed.
- At this time, add the mushrooms and cook for about 15 more minutes, or until all the moisture has been absorbed.
- Right before serving, stir in the parmesan cheese and parsley.
I hope you like it as much as we do!
Have a delicious autumn!