Homemade Applesauce ~ So Simple to Make!

I had no idea how easy it was to make homemade applesauce.  Holy crow.

There are basically just two things you need, everything else is optional.  Here it is, get ready…apples and water.  Then you can choose to add sugar (white or brown), cinnamon, vanilla, almond extract, or whateva.  And, even the directions are flexible.  You can do it on your stove in a large pot, or you can use the crock pot. I used the crock pot.

Cut up 10 fairly large apples.  Choose any variety you like.  I used Golden Delicious.  They are naturally pretty sweet.  Next time I might either use half Golden Delicious and half Granny Smith or omit the sugar.  It turned out delicious, but I also thought it would be just as tasty without the sugar and even healthier.  However, if I used an apple that wasn’t as sweet, I would probably add the sugar, besides it’s only 1/2 a cup.

After you peel your apples and chop them into pieces, dump them in the crock pot.  (If you don’t have a Back to Basics Apple Peeler, you should highly consider getting one…they make peeling apples SO fast.)  Pour 1 1/2 cups water in the crock pot.  If your adding sugar, add 1/2 cup.  If you just want the sweetness, use white sugar.  If you want a little caramel-ish-ness then use brown sugar.  Cook on high for about 3 1/2 hours.  Mash the apples with a potato masher, and you’re done!  If you want any additions like vanilla, almond extract, cinnamon, etc. just stir them in.

Let cool and refrigerate until chilled.

Homemade Applesauce

Homemade Applesauce ~ So Simple to Make!
  • 10 med/large apples (your choice of variety)
  • 1½ cups water
  • ½ cup sugar
  • Optional: brown sugar instead of white, no sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, cinnamon, etc.
  1. Peel your apples, chop them into chunks and place them in the crockpot.
  2. Pour in water and sugar.
  3. Cook on high for about 3½ hours.
  4. Mash and stir apples.
  5. Let cool and serve when chilled through.
Optional Stove-Top Directions: In a large pot, combine the apples, water, and sugar. Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 - 30 minutes, or until apples are soft and mashable. Let cool and serve when chilled through.

1. Patricia @ ButterYum

You’ll have to tune it to my blog for my upcoming pink applesauce post. I don’t know what we like most, the flavor, or the color!

• orsoshesays

That sounds fun! What is it that makes it pink??

• Patricia @ ButterYum

Red apple peels – I’ll post a tutorial with all the details.

2. Winnie Rottem

I LOVE applesauce so much !
    I usually buy it in cans
    Thanks for sharing this EASY recipe

3. Krista@EverydayMom’sMeals

I love homemade applesauce, especially when it’s so easy! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Love seeing new faces. Have a blessed week, and please come back soon!

4. Jill

Yummy! I love a good apple sauce!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!

Hope you have a fabulous week!

Jill @ Creating my way
    to Success

5. Foster

Wow that looks delicious. Something my kids will eat for sure. Thanks for sharing and also steering me to Ruthie’s blog. Love both your blogs. I’m going to check out the ‘Why are your favorite bloggers Mormon?’ link. From one Mormon blogger to another, have a wonderful day.

6. Kara

If you use apple juice instead of water, you won’t need sugar.