100 Clean Family Movies ~ Perfect for Family Movie Night!

One of our favorite things to do Sunday evening is have ‘Family Movie Night’.  It’s a fun little tradition, that comes complete with popcorn and those cheap, chewy, box-mix brownies.  Yum!  In the past, we’ve watched plenty of total duds.  Movies that literally stunk, or movies we THOUGHT we remember being family-friendly when we were younger, only to find out we were completely wrong.  Blah.

Anyway, I recently asked y’all on Facebook to share with me some of your favorite family movies.  With your suggestions, some of mine, and a little research…I think I came up with a pretty good list of movies to refer to for our Family Movie Night.  I’m excited!

Here we go…100 Clean Family Movies:

(Note: I haven’t seen all these movies.  They are based on suggestions and research.  If you feel like one of them is a bad pick for kids, feel free to KINDLY share your insight, and any movies that you do love for families.  Also, some of these movies are more appropriate (or easy to understand) for older kids.  I’m trying to offer options beyond just Disney movies!  So, weigh your choices on the age of your kids.  I wanted a good mix so you could choose based on your family.)

Flubber

The Fox and the Child
Geek Charming
Buck
Wild America
Camp Nowhere
Max Keeble’s Big Move

Latest posts by Mariel (see all)

?>

This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.

Comments

1. We were just trying to think of a good movie to get for a movie night we’re hosting for my daughter and her friends this weekend, so this is perfect. Thanks!

2. That Thing You Do is our favorite family movie!

3. Thanks so much for the info!

4. I highly recommend the Wilderness Family Trilogy movies! Great wholesome, family movies for any age….among our very favorites! Also, Johnny Shilo, Savage Sam, National Treasure, Night at the Museum, Toby Tyler, It Happened to Jane, Summer Stock, The Gnome Mobile, Soul Surfer, and Secretariat, are others that we very much enjoy for our family movie nights. :)

5. christy lavigne says:

Gifted hands, is a great movie!

6. How about Willow, Princess Bride, Never ending story, Labrynth, & Uncle Buck!

7. My brothers and I used to–and still do(at 31, 29, and 27 years old)–love Candleshoe, Father Goose, Muppets Christmas Carol(at that time of year). More good ones are Tale of Despereaux and National Velvet,

Thanks for the list of great movies!

• Muppets Christmas Carol is our family’s favorite holiday movie. We watch it every year on the day after Thanksgiving and it is such a great rendition of Charles Dickens’ book. So well done, so entertaining, and such great music!

8. I agree on the bad language.

9. Melissa Pearson says:

I noticed The Sand Lot on your list. It is a GREAT movie. The only problem is one of the little boys does some cursing which is a shame because it doesn’t add anything to the movie.

10. Would have to agree on the We Bought a Zoo. I enjoyed it, but wouldn’t let my little ones watch it. I have forgotten all about Wild Hearts Can’t Be Broken! Saw it in high school and loved it. Will have to see if our library has it. As for Princess Diaries . . . I agree it is cute and my 10 year old wants to see it. But I am putting that off. It seems like the whole movie is spent fantasizing about her first kiss and I really don’t want my little ones watching all the making out. Maybe when she’s older . . . .

• Good to know about We Bought a Zoo. Thanks! Oh, the guy from Wild Hearts Can’t Be Broken…I literally had the biggest crush on him when I was little. I would just pause the movie and stare. Ha!

11. Tryllyam says:

I LOVED Maverick, but wanted to point out the sorta-sex scene in it….Just a friendly reminder that it’s there so folks are aware of it.

12. Melanie says:

Oh my goodness! The 3 Amigos! No language, no sex scenes, good vs bad guys, character-building in the protaganists, and it’s slap stick with 3 of the best comedians ever!!! Steve Martin, Chevy Chase & Martin Short. And I didn’t see Honey I Shrunk the Kids on here (it’s been a long time, but I don’t think it has language or innuendo).

• Melanie says:

I forgot all the Narnia movies–for slightly older kids especially; A Wrinkle in Time–book made into a movie (the books are far better, but a Christian allegory is always good in my opinion). I also didn’t see Babe, which is adorable!

13. Christine says:

Love, love, loved Cheaper by the Dozen as a kid. I remember my mom laughing so hard she was crying. I decided to watch it with my kids the other night and found myself crying like my mom:). Some things I guess you appreciate more as you age.

Just a warning, though, one of the boys is caught looking at a Playboy magazine(mild by today’s standards, but still), which the mom promptly takes away. The oldest daughter’s boyfriend is trying to convince her to have sex with him, and at one point she yells at him, “You’re just sex crazed!” (Or something along those lines) The dad’s best friend also has pictures of pin-ups by his bunk in contrast to the faithful father of 19 who has his kids’ drawings and pictures.:)

Overall, it’s hilarious and contains a great message about the beauty of family, kids, sacrifice, etc. I just didn’t remember those few instances, and I was totally caught off guard. I thought I forewarn your readers just in case so they can decide when it would be appropriate for their kids to watch.

14. Christine says:

I’m so embarrassed! I just realized I was thinking of “Yours, Mine, and Ours” in my above comment….not “Cheaper by the Dozen! So sorry!

15. Honey I Shrunk the Kids!

16. We love Rigaletto from Feature Family Films! It’s hard to find though. It has a wonderful moral story in it. The Buttercream Gang from FFF as well is adorable and family friendly.

17. Julie c says:

Sound of music, the black stallion, gnomemobile, pollyanna

18. Samantha says:

I would also recommend Five Children and It, the Arthur and the Invisibles trilogy, and The Last Unicorn.

19. Melissa says:

This is great to have a list of go to movies! Thank you! But there is at least one scene in “The Big Year” that is inappropriate/sensual, and there was also more language than I was expecting.

• Thanks, Melissa! Actually just saw The Big Year, and really…it was super boring. We couldn’t even finish it! I may replace that on the list with something else, and sounds like I should replace We Had a Zoo too. (I think that’s the name of it.)

20. Michele says:

Our kids are older (tweens and teens) but we still search out good quality family movies. Love your list. I’d add National Velvet (Elizabeth Taylor), International Velvet, Fairy Tale: A True Story, Akeelah and the Bee, October Sky, Searching for Bobby Fischer, and Oh Brother Where Art Thou.

My daughter’s name is Mariel, pronounced like yours. :)

• Thanks for sharing those, Michele! And…CRAZY. Very rarely, pretty much never, do I hear about someone with my name, pronounced the same. Pretty neat. Tell her ‘hello’, for me!

21. I know I’m a little heavy on Disney Classics that I grew up with, but here we go…Summer Magic, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Lt. Robin Crusoe, The Apple Dumpling Gang, the classic Herbie movies – finally, The Goonies and Facing the Giants.

22. Lorilee Briggs says:

I just have to add Mary Poppins. :) My kids favourite movie!

23. My kids love all the old movies like Singin’ in the Rain, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Mary Poppins, Sound of Music, My Six Loves… All of those!

Mrs. Miracle is a recent one that’s really cute! It’s on Netflix, I think.

24. a lot of the comments mentioned ones that I really like. our family loves Hugo, too

25. Riaz Shaikh says:

Nice collection, but I am surprised you missed ‘Polyanna’. ‘Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation’ is pretty good too.

26. Sue Thomas FBEye series is our family favorite.

27. Great list! The Pagemaster & The Brave Little Toaster (3 movies) are family favs here.

28. If you’re a Doris Day fan(and I am) “Move Over Darling” is a classic side-splitter! With James Garner as her husband that she hasn’t seen for seven years because she was ship wrecked on a deserted island with Chuck Conners(he was a hunk back in the 60’s) and Polly Bergen as James Garner’s fiance that he marries after his wife has been declared dead on the day that the coast guard has rescued his very much alive wife and her handsome island companion that she can not stand but he is tok crazy about her! The hilarity begins as Doris and her mither-in-law(who adores her more than her future daughter-in-law) tries to stop the mismatched couple from tying their nuptials!:oD

29. Jennifer says:

So many great suggestions! I love The Secret Garden and The War! The War might be a little intense for the younger crowd and has some mild language. Did anyone watch The Buttercream Gang on VHS when they were kids? I think it was a Focus on the Family Film? I wonder if you can purchase it on DVD now?

30. Jennifer says:

Just noticed one of the other comments references the Buttercream Gang too and Rigoletto by Feature Family Films! Good call Reagan!

31. Suzanne says:

I’m about to try out The Parent Trap on my nieces. I enjoyed both the original and the remake. Meet Me in St Louis is another fantastic musical and I don’t remember any inappropriateness. Shirley Temple movies are a huge hit with my girls, but you do have to screen because a few are seriously politically incorrect.

32. The Parent Trap remake is replete with religious profanity, if you find that offensive.