Hi everyone! My name is Shannon and I’m a mom of two boys. For a living (and for fun), I’m a fashion consultant and blogger (Style with Shannon). I have lived and breathed fashion for as long as I can remember! I believe fashion is art that can change people’s lives.
We have all had times when we get in a fashion funk. Sometimes it’s a huge change in our life that causes it. A new baby, weight gain, weight loss, a move, a job change, so forth and so on. I have a few tips to help you get your style groove back!
1. Research. Do a lot of research and find what inspires you. Fashion magazines, fashion blogs, store websites, or celebrities. If you like it, write it down. You might even see something you want to buy. Organize the looks and clothing you like on Pinterest or something similar. This will help you see the big picture.
2. Embrace who you are. I have always enjoyed high heels and high fashion. When I had my first son I hit a major style funk. I thought I had to stop wearing everything I loved because I was now a mom. Who said mom’s have to dress a certain way? I decided I could still love all the clothing I always did but in a more toned-down way. So I still wear high heels to the park. Why? Because I love heels and always will. That’s who I am. Remember who you are and what you always loved.
3. Play dress up. Take 30 minutes once a week to blast the music and play dress up. Go though your closet and style together different outfits. This is your time to have fun with your clothing. Rediscover how wonderful it is to be a woman. If you find an outfit you like, take a picture of it or write it down. This will also save you time later. If you are like me, weekday mornings are hectic. You can reference back to the outfit you liked, and you’re dressed for the day in no time!
4. Use a camera. Have you ever seen a picture of yourself and thought that’s not how you looked in the mirror. Well the camera is a great way to see honestly what you look like. The camera never lies. I tell my clients this all the time. Take pictures of yourself in different outfits. This will help evaluate an outfit, and you can compare different looks side by side. This will also help when you are shopping for new clothing.
5. Go shopping ALONE. Unless you want help from a professional like a stylist, you need to shop alone. It’s fun shopping with friends, but they put ideas of what THEY like in your head. It can make it hard for you to pinpoint what you like with the distraction. Shopping alone will also be much more productive.
Finding your style again can be hard. I gained 70 lb. with my first son. I have been all different weights in my life, but after a baby my body changed so much! Even with my experience in the fashion industry, I felt so lost. The biggest tip I can give you is to dress your personal best now! Don’t wait. If you dress with confidence now it will help you in countless areas of your life including your health.