Hi guys, it’s Tieghan from Half Baked Harvest! I have been reading food blogs since I was 13. I began cooking at the age of 15, soon after my mom had my little sister, Asher. At first my dad and I took turns making dishes but I loved seeing the reactions from my parents and siblings and eventually I took over full-time.
The kitchen has since become my domain and I not only make all meals there, but stock it as well. And when I say stock the kitchen I mean it. Five picky brothers, a little sister, two busy parents and a very happy 17-year-old Canadian snowboarder, all make up my family. Though I am a bit older now, my love for cooking has remained the same! I do it simply because I love and I love my the people around me happy!
I am so excited that Mariel asked me to contribute over here on her awesome blog! I am even more excited to share this super simple quesadilla recipe!
· 2 tablespoon olive oil, plus a little more for the pan
· 4 tablespoons of your favorite taco seasoning, divided
· 3 boneless skinless chicken breast (or you can sub two grilled chicken breast)
· 1 cup cooked rice (white or brown)
· 1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
· 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
· 4 large flour tortilla’s
· 1 avocado, sliced for serving
· 1 can (14 oz) Fire Roasted Tomatoes
· 1/2 cup fresh cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
· 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
· 2 cloves garlic, chopped
· 1 whole jalapeno, chopped (remove some of the seeds if you want a mild salsa)
· 2 chipotle peppers in adobo
· 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce
· 1 tsp salt
· 1 tsp pepper
· 1/2 cup cilantro or 2 tablespoons dried cilantro
· 1 lime, juiced
1. To prepare the salsa combine all ingredients in the food processor or blender.
2. Pulse until everything is evenly blended.
3. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
4. Remove from food processor or blender and refrigerate.
5. For the quesadillas heat your grill to medium high heat, you can also use a grill pan. Place the chicken in a bowl and toss with the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the taco seasoning. Grill the chicken for 5-7 minutes on both sides or until cooked through. Allow to cool five minutes and then chop into bite size pieces.
6. Working with one tortilla at a time spread about 1/4 cup of the pepper jack cheese on one half of the tortilla, layer that with about a 1/4 cup of rice. Add 1/4 of the chopped chicken and sprinkle that with about 1/4 of the remaining taco seasoning (the more the better!). Spread about 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese over the chicken and gently fold the other half of the tortilla over. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and ingredients.
7. Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add just a little olive oil to the pan. Cook each quesadilla for 3-4 minutes on each side or until the cheese has melted and the tortillas are crispy.
8. Cut into wedges and serve with avocados and salsa if desired.
Ok. I am done. Go to town!