Fabric Spring Wreath Tutorial (she: Lauren)

Hi, friends! I’m back with a crafty project to help us usher in the spring this month! A sweet floral wreath:

Spring Wreath Tutorial by The Thinking Closet

This is my eighth month living in Florida, and I’m starting to notice that we don’t experience much of a change of seasons here. Well, I guess you could say there are two seasons: stinkin’ hot and less stinkin’ hot. But I figured that wreaths could be my little way of ushering in new seasons whether it be winter, spring, summer or fall. (Anyone else start humming James Taylor just there?) In terms of supplies, this project worked out great because I didn’t have to buy a thing! I already had a wreath on hand from that Valentine’s-Day-wreath-I-never-made, and I raided my fabric stash to find some springy fabrics perfect for this project. And while I used lighter chiffon and silk fabrics, you really could achieve this same look with anything…even t-shirt material! So, dig around and see what you can find.

The Spring Wreath How-To:

Spring Wreath Tutorial by The Thinking Closet

Step 1: Cut strips of fabric to wrap around your wreath form. Feel free to leave the plastic on. Just use a little hot glue to get started and wrap away. I cut my strips about 4 inches wide, but didn’t bother to measure because I used the selvage as my straight edge. You’ll need about 7 yards of the strips for a wreath with a 15″ diameter.

Spring Wreath Tutorial by The Thinking Closet

Step 2: Cut your circles! You can use a 1/4 measuring cup to trace your circles using a washable fabric marker or pencil. I folded my fabric over and cut several circles at a time for efficiency’s sake. Create stacks of your two complimentary fabrics for petals and some quarter-sized felt circles to serve as a base to your flowers (I ended up with 17 flowers).

Spring Wreath Tutorial by The Thinking Closet

Step 3: This is the fun part: growing your flowers. Each flower will require 5 petal pieces and one felt base. I did a combination of white flowers, peach flowers, and a mix! Use the collage below for reference, but to create a petal, fold your circle in half, then in half again. Use a dab of hot glue in the center of the flower before applying each new petal to the four quadrants of the felt. A compass or scissor works great to protect your fingers from getting burned. The trickiest one is the fifth petal. Use your compass to wedge it down into the middle, then carefully remove it before the glue dries. Repeat this step until you end up with a pile of pretty flowers!

Spring Wreath Tutorial by The Thinking Closet

Step 4:
Arrange your flowers on the wreath and use hot glue to secure them. I chose to have my petals explode from two different sides of the wreath, but you should follow your heart.

Spring Wreath Tutorial by The Thinking Closet

Step 5: For the last step, you can cut 3 strips of fabric about 1 inch wide and braid them together to create a custom wreath hanger! And here it is in action:

Spring Wreath Tutorial by The Thinking Closet

So long, winter!

Spring Wreath Tutorial by The Thinking Closet

Welcome, spring!

Spring Wreath Tutorial by The Thinking Closet

I can almost hear the Easter bunny hopping our way!

If you’re interested in a similar look, but with felt rosettes, check out my fall wreath tutorial and just apply some springy colors to it!

Felt-Flower Wreath Tutorial by The Thinking Closet

Felt Flower Wreath Tutorial – Found here. Happy spring crafting, friends!

photo Lauren_zps3f91849f.gif

1. Marmie

You’ve inspired me to welcome spring, too!! What a beautiful wreathe. I really like how you used fabric you already had. The flowers are adorable!!

• Lauren @ The Thinking Closet

Thanks! I’m glad you shared that peach fabric with me in the first place. It’s so purdy.

2. ngnrdgrl

Great tutorial, Lauren! What fun colors! Just peachy! I love the idea of bringing the seasons to you through wreaths. Don’t we all have supplies from the-project-that-never-was?

3. Jessica Lane

Beautiful and looks like something I could actually pull off! Thanks for sharing! Come visit my blog too – http://www.barefootbysea.blogspot.com
    I’m your newest follower! Jessica

• Lauren @ The Thinking Closet

You could totally pull it off, Jessica! I even multi-tasked and made most of my flowers while watching a movie. Off to visit your blog!

4. Christina @ Floridays Mom

This is so cute! I’m not a ‘cratfy’ person by nature, but I agree with Jessica and I think I could actually pull this off.

• Lauren @ The Thinking Closet

Christina, I think you are a craft queen! All of those no-sew curtains? And you’ve got the eye of a designer…so I know that whatever you set your mind to, it’s going to turn out fabulously.

5. Christine @ Decorum DIYer

I really like this. It is so sweet. I’m stopping by here to let you know just how crafty I think you are. Great guest post!

• Lauren @ The Thinking Closet

Thinks, chickadee! You’re my biggest flan.

6. Erika ~ Prey Species

This is gorgeous! Once again you amaze me :)

• Lauren @ The Thinking Closet

Aw, Erika! You are too kind. 😉

7. lisa

I love that you made this with things you had on hand – it is so fresh and springy! It must be very strange to not have the four seasons – I would miss it, even winter! Hoe you can stop by the enchanted oven.
    xo,
    Lisa

• Lauren @ The Thinking Closet

Love it when I can create something beautiful without requiring a run to Jo-Ann’s or Hobby Lobby. My wallet loves it, too!

8. Jessica White

Yum fabrics! How do you keep delivering such lovely projects? Thanks for the tutorial! I have a fabric in mind that is just waiting to become this type of wreath! And now I can’t get James Taylor out of my head…”all you have to do is call…”

• Lauren @ The Thinking Closet

This is it, though, Jessica. After this, I’m tapped out! At least, until I can visit your lovely blog and gain some inspiration. 😉 And hooray for James Taylor fans. “…and I’ll be there. You’ve got a friend.”

9. Jamie

What is the best type of fabric to use? Also, how much should I buy? I am new to trying to be crafty so I don’t have any on hand. I love the peach color though!

• Lauren @ The Thinking Closet

Jamie! I’m so glad that you’re hoping to work on this project. I imagine that 2 yards of the main color and 1 yard of the complimentary color would be plenty. I used a lighter chiffon fabric, but this could look great in felt or cotton, too…so see what your eye is drawn to! Let me know if you create it!