I haven’t been to Disney World since I was a little girl. I actually have a funny memory from being there too. I was probably in 7th grade and decided I needed to trim my own bangs. Big mistake. I cut a little off, crooked. Tried to fix it, crooked. Kept cutting and cutting, until they ended up being insanely mega-nerd short. Not to mention, they were probably an inch thick. That beautiful moment of my life fell right during our family vacation where I had to be seen by thousands of people and be the subject of dozens of my mom’s photos. I was super grumpy about it. Probably deserved a big kick in the butt… being grumpy at Disney World. Who does that?
Well, I can’t remember if I ever had the Tongan Toast, but I’m sure if I had, I might have been a little more pleasant, cause this stuff is awesome! Thanks be to my mom (the most amazing cook) for coming up with this recipe. She recently shared it at her cooking class, and I swiped a copy… for free, mind you. So, here you are! Momma Karen’s delicious version of Disney World’s Tongan Toast…
Disney World’s Tongan Toast
- 4 slices sourdough or French bread, sliced 1” thick
- 2 bananas
- 2 eggs
- ½ C. milk or ½ and ½
- ½ t. vanilla
- ½ t. nutmeg
- 1 T. sugar
- Oil and butter for frying
- ⅓ C. sugar
- 1 t. cinnamon
- Maple syrup if desired
- Heat griddle to 350° or heat frying pan with ¼” cooking oil.
- Cut a pocket in one side of the bread but not all the way through, similar to pita pocket bread. Peel and slice bananas in half, length wise, then in half.
- Insert one or two pieces of banana (depending on the size of your bread) into the pocket. Set aside.
- Mix ⅓ C. sugar with 1 t. cinnamon in small bowl and set aside.
- In a wide bowl, combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, nutmeg and 1 T. sugar. Whisk together well.
- Dip stuffed bread thoroughly into egg mixture and fry in hot oil and a little butter until lightly browned on both sides. Drain on cooling rack.
- Immediately sprinkle both sides with cinnamon sugar mixture and serve at once. Can serve with maple syrup if desired.
Love Disney? Planning a vacation? Need some tips and tricks for Disneyland, your Disney cruise, and other family vacations?? Be sure to check out my Disney Everything! page, where I save all Disney related posts that you’ll find on ‘Or so she says…’.