Hello! So excited to share this delicious 3-ingredient meal with you, Salsa Verde Chicken! It’s meals like this one that save our sanity some nights. This one takes basically no effort other than remembering to throw it in the slow cooker, yet it is so yummy! We have served it both over rice and wrapped it tortillas and loved it both ways!
If you serve it over rice, you can probably get away without thickening the sauce, but if you plan to serve it in tortillas, we definitely recommend thickening it up with a couple tablespoons of cornstarch. Which would technically make it a 5-ingredient meal once you count the water or milk you use to dissolve the cornstarch in–so hopefully you’ll forgive us. We promise it’s worth it!
When we served it over rice we just ate by itself with the rice and side salad. It would also be fantastic served Hawaiian haystack style but with taco toppings…so Mexican haystack-style if you know what I’m trying to say. Basically all that matters it that it’s delicious, and super simple, and you need this recipe in your busy life.
Serves: 6 servings
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 jar salsa verde (choose your heat-- we like both Herdez and La Victoria)
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup milk or water
- Rice or Tortillas for serving.
- Optional step for a flavor boost: Sear chicken breasts or thighs for about a minute on each side before slow cooking.
- Lightly spray grease the inside of 4+ quart slow cooker. Place chicken in slow cooker and dump jar of salsa over. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Cut cream cheese into 1 inch squares and soften cream cheese for 30-45 seconds in the microwave. Remove chicken from salsa and let rest for 5 minutes. Stir softened cream cheese into salsa. If you'd like the sauce thicker, dissolve 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch in cold milk or water and add to sauce. Shred chicken and add it back to the sauce. Serve over rice or in tortillas.
Some other recipes from Leesh and Lu that you might enjoy!