Tomato soup gets a classy upgrade in this simple and flavorful recipe from Leesh & Lu!
We really love soup and eating it often is one of the great things about chilly weather! Tomato soup and grilled cheese is a favorite meal at our houses for both the kids and adults. Think of this recipe as tomato soup’s older, more sophisticated brother. The roasted red peppers in this really give it an amazing flavor!
You can roast your own pepper really easily (tutorial here) or use a 12 ounce can of roasted red peppers. We’ve made it both ways and it is fabulous either way. This soup comes together quick and you can add as much or as little cream to suit your tastes. I think it tastes great without, but a little swirl of cream makes everything even better, right?
It comes together super fast (especially if you have an immersion blender…and if you don’t have one, you need one for Christmas!). We also like the boxed version of this soup, but as is usually the case, the homemade version is even better! If you plan to serve it with grilled cheese, make it on some artisan or sourdough bread to up the wow factor. Bread might not wow others, but my kids were blown away. 🙂
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 2 large or 3 medium red bell peppers, roasted and roughly chopped – tutorial [url href=”http://www.leeshandlusrecipebox.com/2015/04/how-to-roast-red-peppers-or-any-other.html” target=”_blank”]here[/url](You can also use a 12 oz jar of roasted red peppers, in a pinch)
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chicken base, or 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste*
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cream for serving, if desired
- In a medium to large sized sauce-pan, saute onion in olive oil and cook until translucent and soft. Add garlic and cook another minute, or until fragrant. Add butter and allow to melt. Add flour and stir until well combined. Stir in chicken base and tomato paste. Add tomatoes, roasted peppers, milk, water and sugar and bring soup to a simmer. Simmer 5- 10 minutes. Use a stick blender and puree until smooth. If using a regular blender, transfer and blend in batches. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Swirl cream into individual bowls when serving.
Try some of our other holiday favorites:
For more great recipes, try these out:
Recipes, please!! (& great family ideas too.)
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.