I am one of those people who loves to celebrate each holiday to its full capacity! While I don’t go too crazy decorating for St. Patrick’s Day, I do like to wear green and make the traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner on the Irish holiday. I thought it would be fun this year to set the dinner table for our St. Patrick’s Day feast with these simple, darling leprechaun hat place card holders. Add some green potted plants for centerpieces and place the leprechaun hats on the plate and you will be good to go.
Here’s what you need to make the simple craft:
- green felt
- green thin ribbon
- gold glitter scrapbook paper
- small drinking cup or pudding cup
- tape measure
- x-acto knife
- tacky glue
- brass head pins (jewelry section of craft store)
- shamrock stickers
Most of the work for this craft is cutting out the pieces. But overall it goes pretty fast.
1. First measure your cup, whether it be a small drinking cup or in my case I used a pudding cup because that’s what I had on hand. Measure the top diameter and the bottom diameter of the cup. And the length of the cup. Honestly the pudding cup was really handy because there is a ledge on the bottom of the cup that held up the rim of the hat.
2. Measure and mark on your green felt the length and widths of the cup. I used a green marker to mark my measurements. Then cut out the rectangle.
3. Use your cup as your template to measure the top diameter of the cup and draw the circle on the felt. Then do it again and also mark about an inch from the circle. So, you will have a large circle going around the smaller. Cut out your shapes. Then cut out the small circle inside the larger circle so you will have a doughnut shape.
4. Slide the felt doughnut shape over your cup. Glue in place if needed.
5. Then take the rectangle felt shape and wrap it around the cup with the ends just slightly overlapping. Glue in place and hold to secure. Cut off any excess felt on the top. Then fold over the felt and glue in place on the top of cup.
6. Take the small felt circle and glue and place over the top of the cup to give it a finished look.
7. Now you are ready to make the buckle. Cut a buckle shape using a x-acto knife. Cut ribbon slightly bigger than the diameter of the cup. Fold the ribbon around either side of the buckle and glue in place. I made the buckle ribbon slightly larger than the cup diameter so I can slide the buckle onto the cup.
8. Write your guest’s name on a small piece of card stock. Attach the place card to the pin with a dot of glue and cover with 2 shamrock stickers placed back to back. Then poke the pin in the top of the hat.
The luck of the Irish is yours with this leprechaun approved craft!