So, this Chocolate Toffee Trifle is one of those desserts that is so insanely easy but when you bring it in the room…mouths drop. People think you went “all out” and “spent soooo much time” making this fancy schmancy trifle…but, you didn’t. Nope, after the cakes bake…it literally takes 10 minutes to put it together. Best of all, it’s so good and makes you feel super naughty. And, I KNOW you’re a bunch of bad, bad girls.
Meanwhile, whip up your whipping cream. Don’t use the store-bought whip cream…doesn’t taste nearly as good and ya, ugh. To make your whipping cream, pour about 2 cups heavy cream into a bowl with 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla. Whip on high with your mixer until thick and soft peaks form. Taste it. You want it to be sweet but not too much! If it’s too sweet it will be yuck with your super sweet dessert. Just make it mildly sweet.
When your cakes are done, let them cool and slice them in half (horizontally) so that you have FOUR circles of cake, carefully. I actually can only fit about 3 of the circles in the trifle dish…so, the kids gobble the last one.
- 1 box chocolate cake mix and necessary ingredients
- Homemade whip cream (heavy cream, powdered sugar, vanilla)
- 1 bag Heath English Toffee bits
- 1 jar Hot Fudge Sauce
- Bake your cake in two rounds.
- Slice them length wise so you have 4 circles.
- Place a circle (might have to trim down) in the bottom of a trifle dish.
- Make your homemade whip cream (whip heavy cream until soft peaks form, add handful or more (to taste) of powdered sugar, and a tsp. vanilla).
- Pour heated hot fudge sauce on cake layer.
- Sprinkle toffee on top of hot fudge.
- Add a layer of whip cream.
- Start over until you reach the top.
- Exaggerate your layers more on the sides so that they look more like "layers" (more toffee against glass, smear whip cream, and fudge against glass, etc.)