Hi, everyone…my name is Samantha and I blog over at Five Heart Home! Before I share my Zesty Black Bean Dip recipe with you, let me tell you a little about myself.
As a busy mama of three young children, I create quick and easy, family-friendly recipes using fresh ingredients. I am so excited to be a new member of the Or So She Says contributor team, and I look forward to popping over once a month to share some of my favorite eats and treats!
January can be a fairly diversified month when it comes to menu planning. First off, you have the light, healthy, New Year’s resolution-type recipes…think smoothies, salads, and super foods. Then you have an assortment of dips, heavy appetizers, and football-friendly fare as people watch the playoffs and gear up for the Super Bowl. And finally, with Valentine’s Day on the horizon, there are the sweet treats and (my favorite!) the chocolatey indulgences.
Today I’m borrowing from the first two categories to share a healthy yet flavorful dip that would be a perfect addition to your upcoming Super Bowl festivities! Nutritious, protein-packed black beans are the star of this dip, and if you’d like, you can ratchet up the wholesome factor even more by serving it with veggie dippers in addition to (or in lieu of) tortilla chips. Black beans can be rather bland on their own, however, so this smooth and creamy dip relies on a variety of flavor boosters. Garlic, jalapeño, and cilantro add freshness while cumin, garlic salt, balsamic vinegar, and lime juice add seasoning.
Not only can this super simple dip be whipped up in the food processor or blender in a matter of minutes, but it’s also totally versatile. The amounts listed in the recipe are a great place to start, but don’t hesitate to tweak the herbs and spices to your own personal preferences. In addition to boasting adjustable ingredients, this dip is also flexible in its potential applications. Sure it’s tasty scooped up with a crunchy, salty tortilla chip. But it would also make a great filling for quesadillas or burritos, a zippy addition to 7-Layer Dip, or you could even warm it up and serve it as a side dish the next time you’re enjoying a Mexican food entree!
Zesty Black Bean Dip is an appetizer or snack that’s light in calories yet robust in flavor and can be enjoyed year round. It would be equally embraced on Super Bowl Sunday, Cinco de Mayo, any old ordinary day, or a special occasion.
I hope your family loves this healthy, yummy dip as much as mine does!
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and membranes removed, chopped into chunks
- ½ cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1½ teaspoons garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons water
- Place garlic, jalapeño, and cilantro in the bowl a food processor (or the pictcher of a blender). Process until finely chopped, scraping down sides halfway through. Add black beans, cumin, garlic salt, chili powder, oregano, pepper, lime juice, vinegar, and 2 tablespoons water to food processor. Process until all ingredients are smooth, adding additional water one tablespoon at a time (if necessary) until preferred consistency is reached. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Garnish with cilantro. You can also add a little cheese (cotija, cheddar, Monterrey Jack, etc.) and a sprinkle of diced tomatoes for color. Serve as a dip with tortilla chips or raw vegetables.
I’d be honored to have you visit me over at Five Heart Home for more yummy, easy recipes like these!
Do you love queso as much as I do? I’ve got a quick, no-processed-cheese dip for your Super Bowl festivities…
…and to balance out all of that cheese, here’s a healthy superfood treat that tastes like a decadent cross between rice pudding and tapioca!