Ten minutes AND delicious?? No lie. Unless, you forget to buy black beans, at the store, like I did. Then it takes more like and hour and a half.
So, I first had this black bean soup while on a big multi-family vacation at Fish Lake. All the ladies take turns being in charge of dinner, for one night. My lovely sis-in-law, Melanie, made this soup and I could not believe how good it was, especially for how quick she made it. Anyway, I snagged the recipe and have made it several times since. I adjusted it slightly, for my taste, but this recipe is flexible like that. My kids love it, which is always a huge bonus too.
Alright, so this is what I used: 4 cans black beans, 2 cups chicken broth, 1 can corn, 1 cup salsa, and a pound of ground beef. You can easily substitute the ground beef for chicken, or even do it meatless. I love to add avocado, tomato, olives, cheese, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips to the soup. Mmmm!
Cook up your meat (ground beef, chicken, or nothing). Set aside.
Blend 3 cans of black beans with 2 cups of chicken broth. You may have to split this into 2 sessions, if it doesn’t all fit. Once it’s blended, dump it into a large pot. Add about 1 cup of salsa. You can add more or less, depending on your preference. I like Pace Picante sauce. But, I blend up my salsa first, no chunks for me! Stir the salsa with your blended black beans/chicken broth. That is your soup base. Heat it up.
Add the meat to your soup, your fourth can of drained black beans and a drained can of corn. Heat and stir together, and that’s it.
Black Bean Soup
- 4 cans black beans (3 to blend for base, 1 for hearty filling)
- 1 can corn, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb. ground beef (or shredded chicken)
- 1 cup salsa
- Optional toppings: avocado, grated cheddar cheese, tomatoes, black olives, sour cream, crushed tortilla chips.
- Cook your meat, set aside.
- Prepare your optional toppings, set aside.
- Blend 3 cans of black beans with 2 cups of chicken broth in the blender. You may have to do a couple sessions, if it doesn't all fit in the blender. Pour it into a large pot.
- Add salsa. I do one cup, but depending on your preference, you can add more or less. This is your base.
- Add the fillers to the base: can of drained corn, cooked meat, and last can of black beans (drained.) Heat all together.
- Serve with toppings.