Hold on to the last days of summer with this fresh, delicious BBQ Chicken Salad from Leesh & Lu.
Hi everyone! Leesh & Lu here! I love having salad for dinner, but have kind of steered away from it while I’ve had toddlers at home. Without any, or many, molars it’s hard for them to chew and I don’t like to have to make a separate dinner for them. It took a while for me to figure out that the little ones love deconstructed salad just as much I love having it for dinner. Duh. This BBQ chicken salad is a great choice for breaking down because it has so many easy-to-eat elements kids like.
This BBQ chicken salad is a tasty and versatile one and obviously super adaptable to your tastes. All of it can be prepared ahead of time which makes it a great meal this time of year as schedules get crazy and dinnertime is often chaotic. The recipe calls for grilled chicken, but rotisserie chicken also works great here.
I loved the tangyness and extra boost of flavor that the bbq sauce added to the ranch dressing. My kids used it as a dip for their “toppings” and everyone loved it.
We put all the toppings in small bowls on the table and let everyone assemble their own salads. Although my kids don’t eat it all together the way I like to, everyone ate without complaints and in my mind that is a big dinnertime win!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken, grilled and sliced
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- Cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- black beans, drained and rinsed
- Sweet corn
- Cucumber, peeled and diced
- Green onion, thinly sliced
- Colby jack or Pepper Jack cheese, cut into small cubes
- Bell pepper (any color), diced
- Mixed greens
- For the dressing:
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 2 Tablespoons barbecue sauce
- To make the dressing, combine 1 cup ranch dressing with 2 tablespoons bbq sauce. Toss grilled chicken in ¼ cup bbq sauce. Assemble salads beginning with greens then adding all desired toppings and finishing with the dressing. Once dressed, serve immediately.
For more great salads, try these: