An Instant Pot makes dinner a breeze, and this General Tso’s chicken recipe is no exception!
Leesh and Lu here! We’re not typically ones to have a small kitchen appliances for every little thing–we usually pass on pizza ovens, cakepop machines, quesadilla makers and appliances that have narrow or limited uses. As the Instant Pot has regained popularity over the past few years, we didn’t jump on board right away. It seemed like just another kitchen appliance to store. Over the past year and half, however, we were both gifted pressure cookers and let me tell you–there is no turning back. It has been saving us at dinnertime lately! Evenings are so busy getting kids to and from soccer and gymnastics and trying to squeeze dinner in. It’s amazing how it can help you get a delicious, homemade dinner on the table–and fast!
This General Tso’s Chicken has become a fast new favorite. And you can probably throw it together in an Instant Pot faster than you can pick up take-out. It’s tender, moist, flavorful, and has just a handful of ingredients–most of which are pantry staples. You can use thawed or frozen chicken thighs here and serve it over rice or in lettuce. Our kids loved it, too! Give it a try and let us know what you think!
- 2½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Asian red pepper flakes, or sweet and spicy Asian red chili sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 stalks green onion, green part finely chopped for garnish, white part cut into 1.5 inch pieces
- 1 inch cube ginger, finely grated
- For the sauce:
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water
- Turn pressure cooker to sauté mode. While the pressure cooker is heating, pour in olive oil.
- Add red chili flakes, minced garlic, white part of green onions, and grated ginger into the pressure cooker, and allow them to slowly release their fragrance. Sauté for roughly 3 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, vinegars, sugar, sesame oil and chicken thighs into the pressure cooker. Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 12 minutes + 12 minutes Natural Release. Release the remaining pressure and open the lid carefully.
- Remove chicken thighs and shred with a fork. Set aside and thicken the sauce by turning your instant pot back to saute mode and bringing the sauce to a boil. Taste the sauce and add in honey until desired sweetness is reached. Mix 2 tbsp of cornstarch with 2 tbsp of water and stir the mixture into the sauce one third at a time until desired thickness.
- Place the shredded chicken back into the sauce and mix well.
- Serve in lettuce wraps, or over rice using finely sliced green onion and toasted sesame seeds as garnish.
Get more fast dinner ideas here: