I’m supposed to be on a diet, so why did I made these cookies? I’m such a poo-head. Dang-it. I’ve eaten nearly all of them too…they’re yummy and too cute to resist. Cute cookies get me every time.
To make these, you need: flour, cocoa powder, salt, UNsalted butter, sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla, chopped pecans, soft caramel candies, and heavy cream.
First, combine 1 cup flour, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, and 1/4 tsp. salt in a bowl. Oh, and heat your oven to 350 degrees.
With your mixer, or a hand-mixer, beat 1 stick softened and unsalted butter with 2/3 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg YOLK, 2 TBS milk, and 1 tsp. vanilla. Mix for just a few seconds then add the flour mixture.
Wrap dough in plastic wrap and stick in the fridge for about an hour.
After it has chilled, whisk an egg white in a bowl, set aside. Place your finely chopped pecans in another bowl. Roll 1 inch dough balls in the egg whites and then into the pecans. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Using a 1/2 teaspoon, press down into each ball to form a pocket for the caramel. Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes, until set.
Meanwhile, start unwrapping your caramels. You’ll need about 15 of them. Werther’s are so yummy…just be sure to get the soft kind. So, place your caramels in a bowl and add 3 TBS of heavy cream. Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring randomly, until smooth.
Once the cookies are done, re-press the indentation with your 1/2 tsp. because it probably raised up in the oven. Fill the center of each cookie with the caramel mixture. Let cool.
Chocolate Turtle Cookies
America’s Test Kitchen
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 large egg white
- 2 TBS milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1½ cups pecans, finely chopped
- 3 TBS heavy cream
- 15 soft caramel candies
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a mixer, combine the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolk, milk, and vanilla. Mix until just incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture, mix.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about an hour.
- Whisk an egg white in a bowl, set aside.
- Place the chopped pecans in another bowl.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and dip into the egg whites, then roll in the pecans.
- Place the balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Using a ½ tsp. measuring spoon, press an indentation in the middle of each cookie ball to hold the caramel.
- Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, unwrap about 15 caramels and place them in a bowl with the heavy cream.
- Microwave for about 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until smooth.
- When the cookies are done, re-press the indentation with the measuring spoon and fill the pocket with caramel.
- Let cool, completely.