This loaded breakfast skillet is our go-to brinner when we have veggies in the fridge that need to be used up. It’s so fast, filling, and easily adaptable to whatever veggies you have on hand.
This loaded breakfast skillet also shows up regularly at breakfast–although I often forgo the potatoes in the morning to have it ready a bit more quickly. This is one of those recipes that is easy to change up and we never tire of.
We love to serve this topped with a runny, fried egg and some salsa, but the kids usually like to eat it with some scrambled eggs and ketchup. Spinach and mushrooms also work great in this skillet and you can use whatever kind of sausage you have–ground sausage, sliced smoked sausage, breakfast links, or even seasoned ground turkey. You really can’t mess it up and it’s pretty loosely a “recipe”. We provided ingredients and measurements as a guideline, but obviously feel free to make it your own and use your favorite veggies. It’s hearty enough to fill you up and a healthy way to get lots of veggies in!
- 3 medium red or yukon gold potatoes, diced into bite-sized pieces
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Sausage of choice--we have used both ground sausage and sliced smoked sausage here and both were great!
- 2-3 zucchini squash, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small onion, sliced into half moon slices
- 2-3 cups broccoli florets
- 4-6 eggs for frying
- Grated cheese, for serving--sharp cheddar, feta, pepper jack or whatever your favorite is works here!
- Seasoning salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Combine the diced potatoes, vegetable oil, and salt in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high power for 10 minutes, stopping to stir about every 2 minutes. While the potatoes are softening in the microwave, brown sausage in a skillet and remove to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
- Wipe excess grease out of skillet and add onion. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until translucent. Add red bell peppers, drained softened potatoes, broccoli, and zucchini. If needed, add another tablespoon of olive oil. Season generously with seasoning salt and pepper to taste. Saute veggies for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add sausage back to skillet and heat until warm. Remove from heat and top each serving with a fried egg and grated cheese. Serve immediately or portion into microwave safe containers for meal prep.
- Serves 4-6
Other Breakfast Favorites from Leesh & Lu:
Here are more breakfast ideas from OSSS: