I know, I know… cleaning the fridge is the WORST. It’s a pain to pull all of the food out and hope you get everything cleaned before it gets too warm. You’ve got year-old crumbs all over your clothes, as you wipe your little heart out, and your forearm is about to burst. You’ve rinsed your rag 500 times, with another 500 more to go. Inevitably, you run into the spilled and crusty jelly or chocolate syrup in the back of the fridge, that takes some major time and effort to get off. It is not fun. And, I would imagine, it’s something that most of us put off as long as we possibly can. Soooo…. I thought I would do us all a favor and share 3 of my favorite fridge cleaning hacks. They’re my go-to tricks for tackling this monstrous beast-of-a-chore.
Fridge Cleaning Hacks to Save You Time
Let’s get right to it… I’ve got 3 fridge cleaning hacks or tips to make the job much easier!
Hack #1 ~ Keeping Refrigerator Shelves Clean
I don’t give much thought to my refrigerator, unless of course it has some unpleasant odor coming from it (which fortunately isn’t often). And I’ve certainly never used the word “cute” in conjunction with my fridge. But all of that has changed thanks to my new Fridge Coasters. Aren’t they cute?!?
It’s actually fun opening up my nice clean fridge and seeing the pink Fridge Coasters in there. My girls can’t get over how “cute” they are, and they’re having a hard time keeping the door closed – haha.
Even better than being cute, Fridge Coasters are extremely functional. They are super absorbent “liners” that come in different sizes to fit all high traffic areas in your fridge. They can easily be wiped down, and are dry to the touch within minutes. It really makes cleaning your fridge easier. Even better, Fridge Coaster’s material is extremely breathable allowing produce to last longer because of increased air flow in between the plastic bin and produce. They keep veggies fresh longer, absorb drips from milk and condiments and make keeping your fridge clean easy. There are several fun colors and patterns to choose from.
I also noticed another brand, that I can’t vouch for, but seems to be well-liked and affordable, called Pelapola. Either way, the point is… you can save a lot of time cleaning the fridge, by simply keeping refrigerator shelves clean with washable mats!!
If you’re not able to buy washable mats any time soon, you can also try lining your shelves with Glad Press N Seal Cling Wrap. Slick idea, huh?! It might not look as clean and cute, but it will do the trick, for the time being.
Hack #2 ~ Baking Soda and Vinegar Household Cleaner
Vinegar is an awesome cleaner for the refrigerator, no less the WHOLE house! It’s non-toxic, great at nixing odors, and anti-bacterial. Combine it with the powerful dirt and grease dissolving effects of baking soda, and you have an all-natural and effective homemade cleaner that you can use fo so many things. Plus, it can save you a ton of money on buying chemical cleaners! This is my most favorite recipe that I’ve found.
Note: If you’re cleaning an area that won’t react well to an acidic solution, leave out the baking soda, using only the vinegar and water solution, instead. For more sensitive surfaces, you can also dilute the solution with more water and less vinegar.
After you pull everything out of the fridge, spray this cleaner on the shelves and walls. You can let it sit for a minute, before wiping, for extra soaking time. If you have extra baking soda left, leave the open box in the back of your fridge (or a cup of it), after you put the food back in. Baking soda is great for absorbing odors. It will help keep your fridge smelling fresh!
Recipe for Baking Soda and Vinegar Household Cleaner
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- For Scent: Add several drops of your favorite essential oils (lavender, orange, or lemon are great!)
Combine the ingredients into a large spray bottle and shake. Spray and wipe surfaces.
Hack #3 ~ How Shelves Affect Everything with Cleaning Refrigerators
Let’s talk about shelves. Where you place your food on the shelves, the order in which you clean them, etc. can make all the difference in how simple it is to clean your fridge.
- When placing food in the fridge, put the meats on the bottom shelf. If they leak, they won’t contaminate everything else, from the top down.
- When putting new food in the fridge, place it at the back, and bring the older food to the front. It will help you not rebuy things you already have, because you can see it, right up front (less overcrowding!) It will also remind you to use the items at the front, before they go bad (less leaking and stinking!)
- When cleaning the fridge, clean from the top down. You want to make sure all crumbs are dropping down onto the still dirty shelves, not the clean shelves.
- If you find the same kinds of foods repeatedly making a mess in your fridge, besides the liners shared above, you can try using refrigerator storage containers. Organize the foods in the smaller containers and set them on your shelves. Any messes can be quickly resolved by taking the small container out and rinsing it in the sink.
If You Liked These Refrigerator Cleaning Tricks, Check Out:
- The Best Stuff for Cleaning EVERYTHING ~ A Miracle Worker Product!
- 3 Laundry Hacks To Make Life With Kids Easier
- Clever Games to Motivate Kids to Clean
Pin This Image to Save These Fridge Cleaning Tips:
Or, click the Pinterest button at the top of the post for additional image choices.