Hi there! It’s Sierra again from The Blue Robin Cottage!
Well… it’s officially back to school season and while you are probably crying over the prices of school supplies and clothes, here is a cheery little treat idea for you and…get ready for it…a FREE printable to go with it!!
I know, I know… high fives all around!
Also, let’s be honest here moms: if you are like me, you reeeeeeeeaaaaaalllly love to make cute treats for your kid’s school lunches but “ain’t nobody got time for that!”
So today, I’m sharing this simple, fun, back to school treat that you will most definitely have time for (it took me like 10 minutes…for real!).
So cute, so yummy and sooo fast – and I’m not talking about the fake kind of fast on those viral sped up cookie decorating videos (those are too fun though right?).
So let’s get this party started!
Here’s what you will need:
*Yellow candy melts – I used about two bags
*Vanilla wafer cookies (you know those cool cookies your grandma always had in her cookie jar)
*A black AmeriColor edible food decorator pen
*Plastic treat bags (preferably ones that are around 5 inches across the top)
1. First, heat up your candy melts via the package directions. I usually just pop mine in the microwave. Just be careful not to burn them (no judgements here because I’ve totally done it, and maybe it was because a certain toddler was screaming and I left them in the microwave too long…but who really knows).
2. Next, take your cookie and dip it into the chocolate, making sure it’s completely covered.
3. Remove the cookie with a fork and give it a few good taps against the bowl to remove the excess chocolate and create a smoother finish.
4. Lay the chocolate covered cookie on the parchment paper to dry.
5. Once the cookies are all dry, take your edible food pen and draw tic marks and numbers on them to create your ruler.
Now that your cookies are finished (see, that was super easy right?) you can print out your printable tag to put onto your bag! Here are two versions I made for you: THIS ONE if you are making this treat for your kiddo’s first day of school and THIS ONE if you are one of the lucky ones who already started school or if you just want to make these for any other regular school day.
All you need to do is download the printable, print at 100%, fold in half and staple it onto the top of your treat bag.
Your kids will totally dig it and probably tell all their friends you are a rockstar, so be prepared for celeb status. 😉
Here are some more back-to-school posts to get you and the kids in gear for the new school year: