Hello, my name is Susan Duane. I am one of the new contributors at Or So She Says. I’m so excited to be here with you all! I blog at Love of Home where I chronicle my DIY projects, share recipes, my love for family and home. I hope you’ll stop by and see what I’m up to!
Today I have a sweet treat that is simple to make, beautiful and delicious: Valentine pastry hearts. Add some pretty packaging and you’ve got a lovely homemade gift for all your Valentines! These also make a great little “thank you” or hostess gift.
- One box puff pastry
- Raspberry preserves
- 1½ cups confectioner sugar
- Half & half
- Vanilla extract
- Flour for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place puff pastry on floured sheet to thaw (follow instructions on box).
- Spread a thin layer of preserves on the puff pastry leaving a border around the edge.
- Fold each side in twice about 1" and then so the meet in the middle (see photo).
- Cut into slices (you should get 12 from each sheet). Place cut side down on baking sheet lined with a Silpat or parchment paper.
- Bake for 12 minutes on one side and then turn baking about 8 more minutes until golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Mix confectioner sugar, half & half and dash of vanilla until smooth.
- Drizzle over hearts.
- Let glaze harden and package!
And isn’t that box the perfect, subtle way of delivering the goodies? Add a colorful strip of tape, some twine and you’re good to go. This is even something the kids could help with.
Again, I’m happy to be here and look forward to visiting with all of you again next month! Don’t forget to come see me some time!