Delicious Pound Cake French Toast topped with cherry pie filling and sprinkled with powdered sugar. The perfect breakfast for Christmas morning!
Hello, Friends! It’s Cathy from Lemon Tree Dwelling, here today to share a delicious holiday breakfast recipe with you! Believe it or not, Christmas is just one week away….and I don’t know about you, but I’m not quite ready! I still have a few gifts to buy, a few treats to package up, a few Christmas dresses to find…..oh – and some food to think about!
Thankfully, we’re not hosting anyone this year….but we will be going to see both families on Christmas day and bringing some tasty food to share! And before we go, we’ll need to have something for breakfast. I love the idea of everything feeling extra special on Christmas day, and this Pound Cake French Toast fits the bill! (Cake for breakfast? Yes, please!!!)
Best of all, you can make the cake ahead of time so all you have to do is slice it, batter it, and grill it up once you’re done opening presents! It’s sure to put a smile on everyone’s face…..if you can tear them away from their shiny new toys long enough to eat it, that is…..! Have a very merry, extra special Christmas!!!
- ½ c. butter
- 3 eggs
- ½ c. plain Greek yogurt
- 1½ c. flour
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ⅛ tsp. baking soda
- 1 c. sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ c. milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- 6 thick slices pound cake
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- powdered sugar
- Allow butter, eggs, and yogurt to stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- Beat butter on medium-high speed 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and beat 10 minutes or until very light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat 1 minute after each addition.
- Add dry mixture and yogurt alternately to beaten mixture, beating each addition until just combined.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 60-75 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely.
- In a shallow bowl beat eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Dip cake slices into egg mixture, coating both sides.
- Heat a skillet or griddle and cook pound cake until golden brown on both sides.
- Top with cherry pie filling and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
I’d love for you to check out these other delicious breakfast ideas from Lemon Tree Dwelling!