This is such a busy time of year isn’t it?! We’re all trying to squeeze in work, family and all kinds of activities into our days!
Sometimes things can get so hectic that meal planning gets overlooked. This can make dinner time one of the hardest times of the day. Some days we barely have a half an hour to eat, let alone a lot of time to even make dinner. But it doesn’t have to be this way! You can make a yummy meal for your family in under one hour! It is possible!
On my blog, A Pretty Life in the Suburbs, I’m focusing on recipes that you can get on to your table in under one hour, so I wanted to share one such idea with you. Today I’m serving up a fun and tasty twist to the classic Macaroni & Cheese. Paired up with some broccoli and you’ve got dinner!
Healthy. Delicious. And on the table in under 1 hour.
Macaroni & Cheese with Broccoli
Recipe adapted from Chef Michael Smith
2 tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/3 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 can evaporated milk (370 mL)
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (old cheddar has great flavour)
1 lb elbow macaroni
2 cups broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces
- In a large pot, boil the pasta according to package directions.
- When it is cooked, drain the water. Set aside.
- In a pot of boiling water, cook the broccoli until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- In the meantime, melt the butter in a saucepan, and add the garlic. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the flour, and stir to make a paste.
- Then slowly pour in the milk, while whisking, and cook until the sauce is thickened.
- Add the mustard, paprika and salt. Whisk.
- Sprinkle in the cheese, and stir the mixture continuously until it is melted.
- Toss the pasta with the cheese sauce. Add the broccoli and stir in.
- Serve and enjoy!
- For extra flavourful mac & cheese use old cheddar. Or if you prefer a more mild flavour you can use a medium cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese.
- If you don’t have evaporated milk, this recipe works well with using just all regular milk. (so roughly 3 1/2 cups milk)
- You can serve the macaroni in individual dishes with melted cheese on top.
- Just sprinkle on some extra grated cheese to each dish, and line the dishes up on a cookie sheet in the oven. Broil until the cheese is melted, bubbling and light brown.
I hope this dinner can make your life even just a teensiest bit easier. ;)
Have a delicious day!