Chicken enchiladas with a surprise ingredient in today’s post from Leesh & Lu!
This might sound a little crazy, but have you ever tried cottage cheese in enchiladas? We realize it sounds a little strange, but you’re just going to have to trust us on this one! We love baking with cottage cheese and often prefer it over ricotta in baked pasta dishes, but never thought about putting it in Mexican food before coming across this recipe. You’ll just have to try it to believe it, but this recipe has rave reviews!
The taco-flavored chicken and the cottage cheese combine to make a delicious melt-in-your-mouth filling for these enchiladas! The leftovers reheated really well for lunch the next day and we topped ours with a little bit of fresh salsa and chopped cilantro for serving.
We made a couple of adaptations based on personal preferences (swapped the corn tortillas for flour and reduced the amount of shredded cheese inside since there is already lots of cheesy goodness with all the cottage cheese) and they were a big hit! If you have rotisserie chicken or precooked and shredded chicken on hand it makes assembling these enchiladas a breeze. They are also make-ahead friendly, meaning you can make them in the morning and put them in the fridge until you’re ready to bake them. We love make-ahead meals that make dinner hour less hectic. These would also me a great freezer meal or a meal to take-in to a friend.
If you’re feeling adventurous or looking to get out of a dinner-rut, give these enchiladas a go and you won’t regret it!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cooked and shredded
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix – or use [url href=”http://www.leeshandlusrecipebox.com/2011/02/taco-seasoning.html” target=”_blank”]homemade[/url]
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 8 taco size flour tortillas (we like Tortillaland uncooked)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby Jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce (you may need more if you like them very saucy)
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken, onion and diced green chiles and saute until browned, then add taco seasoning. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream, cottage cheese, 1/2 cup shredded cheese, and season with salt and pepper; stir until well blended.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Warm tortillas until soft. In each tortilla place a spoonful of the meat/cheese mixture. Roll tortillas and place in a lightly greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Top with enchilada sauce and remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Try our other Latin-inspired favorites:
Get more great recipes on the blog:
Recipes, please!! (& great family ideas too.)
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.