Hi there everyone!!! It’s Gina from Kleinworth & Co. Hope you all are as excited about this chilly fall weather as I am. The colors have faded here in North Idaho & the trees are bare. It won’t be long before the snow has fallen. Which means it’s time for soup. I love throwing a bunch of ingredients into the slow cooker & smelling that wonderfulness drifting through the house all day long. Then when it’s dark & it’s dinner time we can sit down for a warm bowl of something delicious. My current favorite is this slow cooker Chunky Clam Chowder.
This is hearty, filling & delicious. I thought about a side salad – but I was so happy I decided against it. We were stuffed after just one helping.
My kids LOVED this – I think I need to make a double batch with the second cooker because there wasn’t any left. It’s so easy that I think next time I’ll let the kids make it. Add a little garlic bread on the side – perfection.
Clam Chowder doesn’t have to be complicated.
- 4 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams with juice
- 1 pack bacon- cooked
- 1 medium onion
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- 6 medium potatoes (russet or red) - peeled & chopped
- 1 cup clam juice from your cans
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp dried dill
- 1 tsp fresh parsley
- 1 cup half & half
- 2 cups milk
- 4-6 tbsp corn starch
- ½-2 cups instant potato flakes
- Cook bacon until it's crispy.
- While the bacon is cooking add onion, clams, celery, chopped potatoes, clam juice, broth, seasonings to crock pot & cook on high 3-4 hours or on low 6-7 hours
- When bacon is done - chop & add to soup
- During the last hour - add half & half.
- In a separate bowl combine cornstarch & milk - add to soup & allow to continue to cook & to thicken
- If it's not as thick as you like - add potato flakes ½ a cup at a time - waiting about 10 minutes before adding more until you reach the thickness you desire
Want some more easy soup recipes?
It was great spending time with you all today!