Hey Everyone, it’s Kimberly with Packed with Fun, the official blog for Get Away Today. I’m here again this month to share what to pack for a Disneyland vacation – and what NOT to pack. The answer to this depends on whether or not you are flying or driving, and how much space you have in either case. But, there are some general rules that you can follow either way. Remember, even if you have gobs of space to bring your entire wardrobe, you’ll be living in close quarters while on your vacation and over packing is not a good idea.
Basics/necessities to pack:
- One full outfit per day, plus a change of clothes per child – I recommend keeping each day in a separate ziplock bag. It will keep everything organized and eliminates the question of what to wear each day. If your kids have clothes with the characters on them, be sure to bring them. They’ll get extra attention from the characters.
- One shirt per day, plus one pair of pants or shorts for every two – three days per adult.
- One pair of comfortable shoes and flip flops per person. I recommend traveling with your comfy shoes and packing the flip flops because they take up the least amount of space.
- Swim suits for everyone.
- A hoodie or jacket for each person at night.
- All of your travel documents and tickets.
- Cash – including small bills to use for tips for valet, housekeeping, etc.
Extras to pack:
- Glow sticks – you will save so much money by purchasing these in bulk before you go, and your kids will have a blast with them at night.
- Little Disney trinkets from the Dollar Store to save a ton on souvenirs.
- If you have the space, buy princess dresses before and bring them along. Your kids will have a great time dressing up and again, you’ll save a bundle over buying them in the park.
- Ponchos if rain is in the forecast
What not to pack:
- Shampoo/conditioner/soap – all of your hotels have these on hand
- Blow dryer – the hotel will have this. If you can get away without packing a flat iron or curling iron, it will save you space. Plus, your hair will look a little different after riding California Screamin’ anyway!
- Diapers – if you need diapers, don’t use precious packing space and/or pay to have them checked on a plane. Bring enough to last you through your travel days, and buy the rest when you get there.
- Groceries – same idea, if you’re road tripping, only buy enough for the road, then stock up when you get to your hotel.
- Weapons and/or anything that looks like weapons. Disneyland recently stopped selling anything that looks like weapons- including swashbuckling pirate swords – and won’t allow them in the park.
- Any liquids over 3 oz. Not only can you not carry them on a plane, they’ll take up a ton of precious packing space. Use travel sizes, and keep them in the plastic bags in case something leaks.
- Selfie stick – leave it at home, unless you want to have to confiscated. The no selfie stick policy is strictly enforced.
I hope these packing tips help make sure that your vacation is packed with fun. If you need help booking your vacation, be sure to check out our Disneyland packages on getawaytoday.com or call our Disney experts at 855-GET-AWAY. Be sure to mention Or So She Says and use promocode: OSSS15 to save an extra $10 off your Disneyland package.
If you’d like more tips from a Disneyland PRO, check out these posts: