Roasted Red Pepper Pasta is delicious with or without added chicken. It’s big on flavor but not on effort!
Today we have a fast, fresh, and tasty meal to share with you that will not disappoint! Bonus: it comes together in about 30 minutes! You can use roasted red peppers from a jar or you can roast your own in a flash.
We like to add chicken, but you could easily omit it and substitute vegetable broth if you’re looking to keep it vegetarian. Marinated grilled chicken works great here, as does diced rotisserie chicken–so use whatever works for you. Choices, choices!
Also, you can obviously use your favorite shape of pasta here. I like the shorter pastas with more ridges here so they can hold more of the dreamy sauce. We used this Barilla brand Campanelle and thought it worked perfectly here. They were like curly mini lasagna noodles.
While the recipe is simple, the taste is incredible! The roasted red pepper is definitely the star of the show! Start by sauteing onions, garlic, and roasted red peppers in a olive oil. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add chicken broth, spices, cream and Parmesan. Spoon the sauce over pasta, top with diced chicken, and big shavings of Parmesan if desired, and dig in!
Try these other favorites:
- 12 ounces pasta - campanelle, rigatoni, radiatore are all great choices here - but use your fave short pasta!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 roasted red bell peppers* or 1 jar (15.5 Ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and roughly chopped
- 1-1½ cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup parmesan shavings + more for serving**
- fresh parsley, finely chopped (use dried in a pinch)
- fresh basil, thinly sliced (use dried in a pinch)
- grilled chicken, diced into bite-sized pieces
- Italian dressing for marinating chicken, if desired
- Marinate chicken for 1-8 hours, if desired. Grill chicken until cooked all the way through and set aside.
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes or until starting to soften. Add the chopped red peppers and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until hot.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Carefully transfer the contents of the skillet to a food processor or blender. Place on the lid and puree the pepper mixture until totally blended (there will still be some texture to the peppers.)
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil back to the skillet over medium heat. Pour the pepper puree back into the skillet. "Rinse" blender with chicken broth and add to pepper puree in skillet. Add salt and pepper, and stir until heated. Splash in the cream and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet. Add Parmesan and parsley/basil, then stir it together to coat the pasta.
- Serve immediately in bowls with extra Parmesan shavings and top with grilled chicken.
**We like to shave the Parmesan block with a vegetable peeler to get nice, big shavings for serving
For more great recipes, try these: