Okay, here goes nothing: Get yourself some flour, baking soda, baking powder, butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk. Did you know that buttermilk makes almost everything better? Kinda like gravy.
- 1 stick softened (not too melted) butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Milk to consistency
- Food coloring
- Mix well with hand mixer.
The Softest, Chewiest, Best Sugar Cookies
- 5 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 4 sticks softened butter
- 3 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 6 TBS. buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until somewhat smooth.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- In another bowl, stir together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, and baking powder..
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed ingredients. Mix well.
- Add the buttermilk to make the dough soft, not wet.
- Roll into med/small balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake until done.
- After about 12 minutes, check them...and wait until the edges barely start to show a golden color...could take up to 15 minutes, or more.
- Remove from oven and let them rest on the cookie sheet for several minutes. Then let cool on wire rack or towel.
- P.S. I have also turned these into Snickerdoodles! Instead of frosting, when you roll the dough balls, roll them into a mixture or cinnamon and sugar. Bake as usual.
* One of the hardest things about bringing these awesome cookies to people or events is that I can’t stack them on top of each other, due to the frosting. So, I’m dying to try this carrier out! It gets amazing reviews and I love that there is a double layer.
* There’s never enough counter space in the world, right? That’s why these racks are the best for after the cookies come out of the oven. Let them cool off on them and have plenty of space left to get your next batch going… because, you’re going to want more cookies.
* When standing in the kitchen all day, I have to be comfortable. The hard floors really hurt my feet, so I love wearing my Haflinger slippers… boiled wool, arch support, awesome.