As current owners of a vacation property in St. George, Utah, we have been looking to expand our portfolio with another location close to home. One of our favorite places to spend time with our family is Lava Hot Springs, Idaho. There is so much to do, every season of the year.
One of the most important parts of purchasing a new vacation rental property, is ensuring that there is a property management company that you feel comfortable with. It’s no small investment, and you want it well taken care of. We have had a great experience with our management company in St. George, and wanted to find someone near Lava Hot Springs that would manage our rental in a similar way. It’s important that our unit is regularly booked out, and prices adjusted with the market and season. We want our mortgage covered, as much as possible. Any income on top of that, is a huge bonus! It’s also important that our unit is kept clean and everything is working properly. And of course, good communication with us, is key.
So, with that said, we went on a search in Lava Hot Springs, compared the companies offering to manage vacation rentals, and finally found the one that suits us the best. It’s everything we’ve been looking for!
Lava Hot Springs Vacation Rental Management
Based in Pocatello (Bannock County), is Sunday Vacation Property Management. We spoke with Ethan, and were really impressed with what he and his company has to offer.
From their website:
“Let someone else pay your mortgage! We are a full-service vacation property management service, ready to take on your management needs. We are experts in securing bookings, keeping your property clean and in top-notch condition, and bringing in those 5-star reviews. Visit our website and call us today!”
What to Look For in an Idaho Airbnb Management Company
I mentioned above, a few of the main things we feel like we have to have in a property management company. This is what we suggest that everyone look for…
- A company that will market your property on multiple channels: Airbnb, VRBO, Evolve.com, newsletter promotions for past customers, etc.
- A company that will set competitive prices, based on the current market and season, ensuring maximum profits.
- A company that will be available 24/7 for tenants and their questions and needs. Visit your property, if necessary.
- A trustworthy cleaning and maintenance service that will bring in the perfect reviews online.
- A company that is in regular communication with you (the owner), keeping you updated on rental info and upcoming needs.
- A company with a professional website, that’s easy to navigate for renters and owners.
- Reasonable pricing percentage (some charge way too much!) that makes sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck
- An easy to use software platform that makes payments, owner rentals, and communication super easy.
I was so pleased to hear that Sunday Vacation Property Management is committed to each of those points. They are also open to client feedback and suggestions, which I love. A good relationship with your management company is HUGE.
Is an Idaho Vacation Property a Good Investment?
So, we don’t have our Lava Hot Springs rental purchased quite yet (we were wanting to do our property management research for the area first), but if it’s anything like our St. George, Utah property, then I would say DEFINITELY. Some months are slower and some are completely full, but when it all averages out, we have our mortgage completely paid for, every year, plus earn income on top of that. And, that’s with our St. George rental company taking 30% of the rental price. Best of all, we have a fun place of our own, for my own family to go. We are excited to add another place like that to our list.
To summarize, it almost feels like a free vacation home. How is that not the BEST THING EVER?! Mortgage covered, personal vacation home for my family, and extra income. It’s a great investment (especially if you have an amazing vacation rental management company to do all the work for you! Worth the percentage they make, for sure.)
Is Lava Hot Springs a Good Place for a Vacation Rental?
One thing that’s smart is to look for properties in destination locations that have lots of activities to do, in all seasons of the year. That’s what convinced us to buy in St. George, and it’s what is having us think about getting a Lava Hot Springs Airbnb too. Bookings are so much easier to land, when there are people coming for all sorts of reason, at all times of the year: athletic tournaments, golfing, skiing/snowboarding, etc. Check out some of these awesome activities that will draw people in… (And, here’s some of the fun things to do in St. George, near my vacation rental there.)
Things to Do in Lava Hot Springs, Idaho in the Summer & Fall
- Lava Hot Springs Pools – Soak in the mineral water, jump off the diving boards, and enjoy the indoor pools.
- Lava Horseback Adventures
- Lava Zip Line
- Lava Hot Go Karts
- Float the Portneuf River
- Hike a trail on the Bannock and Portneuf Mountains and the Pebble Creek Forest Area
- Visit the historic buildings in town and gift shops
- Lava Hot Springs Golf Course
- Fishing in Portneuf River and Chesterfield Reservoir
- Play Disc Golf
- Attend the Lava Folk Festival in September
Things to Do in Lava Hot Springs, Idaho in the Winter & Spring
- Lava Hot Springs – soak in the hot water, while you’re out in the cold!
- Baker Ranch – Snowshoeing, cross country skiing, fat bike trail
- Visit the historic buildings in town and gift shops
- Attend the fun and crazy Fire and Ice Winterfest in February
- Snowmobile the Idaho trails – You can take trails all the way from Pocatello to Lava, to warm up!
- Pebble Creek Ski Resort
- Check out the Niter Ice Cave – Originally used by Native Americans and settlers for food storage
- South Bannock County Historical Museum
- Ice Fishing in Chesterfield Reservoir
- Get a massage, manicure/pedicure, or facial
I hope this post has helped give you some insight and good tips for finding Lava Hot Springs Airbnb management. If you’re thinking of a real estate investment, vacation property rental has been a great experience for us. As a side note, we also have a long term rental in Ogden, Utah, managed by a local company. We have found that to be valuable, but the perks of our vacation rental have us leaning that direction, in terms of expanding.